Saturday, September 15, 2007

For Beth

I just spent 5 days in Amsterdam -- and a further 5 hours in Schiphol, waiting for my Flybe -- or Maybe, as a fellow passenger called it -- flight home. Amsterdam was fun; it was lovely to see nearly all our friends, hit up Simon Levelt for our favorite ground coffee, and get sushi from Sushime. But, my irritation levels soon started to rise: endless queues in Albert Heijn and Etos; it kept raining when I was on my bike; and my God, the Dutch really can't cycle well at all! Within 24 hours, I was freely cursing the muppets who wobbled across cycle paths, and pulled over without indicating. Grrr!

Most of all, however, I missed the countryside. The previous weekend, we'd cycled out to Easton -- no more than 5 km from our house. If you cycle for 5 km -- or even 50 -- around Amsterdam, you're still in an urban landscape. Beth came over all nostalgic for the Swiss vistas they enjoyed on holiday. Well, these aren't mountains, but these views sure are purty.

1. The River Itchen, on its way to the watermeadows.



2. The view from Kingsgate Tennis Club, at 9.30 this morning. Perfection.



3. Twyford, while house-hunting.

No comments: