Friday, January 20, 2006

Traitor

Every country has them -- people who let the side down. Who undermine the values that their countrymen hold dear. Who challege the status quo. Who go against the grain. Think of Judas, Charles I, the Rosenbergs, or Lord Haw-Haw (go Google them, ignoramus).

Readers, I know one such Dutch traitor. A man who spits in the face of Dutch tradition. A man who is super-friendly, great fun, and a real pleasure to be with. Who delights in making friends with lonely expats and welcoming them into his social circle. Who is prepared to read a blog that frequently criticizes his compatriots -- and finds it entertaining and (gasp!) accurate. Indeed, he is the only Dutchie to whom I've given the address of this blog.* And today, he left my place of employment to take up another job.

Jeroen: good luck and stay in touch! You, sir, are a scholar and a gent.

* It's not that I'm scared of voicing my opinions, but the Dutch are really, really tall!

No comments: