Monday, November 24, 2008

Ice cream Sunday

Prior to setting off for the North-East, I had acquired a copy of The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. This is chock-full of recipes for gorgeous-sounding ice creams, sauces, mix-ins and serving vessels, and I wasted little time in making use of it. First up was a roasted banana ice-cream with hot fudge sauce and chocolate chip cookies; it's an easy, delicious way to use up those bananas that always seem to linger in the fruit bowl, reproaching you. However, that was soundly beaten by yesterday's cheesecake ice cream. Oh my! This unbelievably simple concoction involved just cream cheese, sour cream, single cream, sugar, lemon zest and salt, and tasted exactly like the best American (not Yorkshire) cheesecakes. As those cheesecakes tend to have a biscuit base, I paired it with chunks of chocolate biscuit cake and it was divine! We had to limit ourselves to one scoop each because, y'know, it's basically just frozen fat, but we will return to the trough tonight for some more.



Next week, sweet potato ice cream.

2 comments:

Jess in boston said...

I HIGHLY recommend Lebovitz' recipe for salted butter caramel ice cream. Not in the book, but here: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007/04/salted_butter_c.html

R made it a few months ago, and it was AMAZING. He also did the mint and the coffee (from the book), which were also delicious. The mint took a bit of getting used to, since it's so "green" tasting -- nothing like the artificially flavored mint ice cream our palates are used to! But it grew on me, and I hope we make it again.

Keep us posted on the sweet potato. I kind of can't imagine . . .

Norfolk Dumpling said...

I made mint choc chip ice cream a few months ago using homegrown mint and it was GORGEOUS! I'm having a hard time choosing my favorite. Maybe I'll do the salted butter caramel ice cream for New Year's Eve.