Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer 2007 redux

It's a hard life being a farmer. Why are there slugs on my herbs? When will it rain? Will it stop raining? Will the nonstop rain wash away my seedlings? Will the birds eat my seedlings? How do I know when my seedlings are actual radishes? These are questions that the instructions on the packet just don't answer.

It's also a hard life being a stone mason. PJ finally removed the last pieces of plasterboard in the conservatory, so we've spent several days chipping off the big blobs of plaster that had been holding it on. I now have lots of tiny cuts across my knuckles, chiseling not being part of my vast and varied skill set. Luckily, we discovered that the plasterboard wasn't key to the structural integrity of the conservatory, and it still appears to be standing. And leaking. We had various panes of glass replaced today and much of the moss and dirt cleared, and it turned out that the plant life that had accumulated on the roof had been keeping quite a bit of water out. However, the nice men said they'll come back tomorrow (if it's dry) and seal everything up. Given the weather forecast for the next week, I'm not hopeful.

No comments: