Sunday, December 10, 2006

Lemon polenta pound cake



PJ's away again this week. Last week, it was London and Paris for 4 nights; this time, it's 6 nights in London, San Francisco, and San Jose. While I'm on my own, my eating habits tend to disintegrate. Instead of wholesome veggie pasta bakes, it's cheesy nachos and ice cream. I prefer having meals you can polish off in one sitting, rather than having leftovers peer resentfully at you from the fridge, only to be binned on day three. I'm just not good at adapting my cooking to suit one person -- even if that one person is me.

However, his nibs' absence does give me the opportunity to try out things that he wouldn't like: noodle dishes crammed full of coriander, for example, or this lemon pound cake. Not only does it look like a great recipe, but it also has so much lemon juice in it that it almost counts as several portions of fruit for the day. And, it was pleasantly time-consuming to make, and more fun than either the pile of ironing or bits of extraneous work that I need to do today. I intend to split it, sandwich it together with some lemon marscapone frosting and perhaps a few raspberries -- yet more fruit. Looks like "healthy" eating can be achieved, after all.



No comments: