Monday, March 27, 2006

Bubbling below the surface

After nearly 30 years of refusing to put my face down into the water when swimming -- the result of an accident at my local pool when someone dived in on top of me, pushing me to the bottom of the pool -- I have finally learnt to do breaststroke properly and wear goggles over my contact lenses. What a revelation! I can now see all the lumpy, wobbly bits of my fellow swimmers, dangling down into the nether regions of the pool. I can also see when the men decide to "adjust" themselves at the end of a lane, which is particularly unpleasant at 8.10 on a Monday morning.

2 comments:

Jacob Mathai said...

That always bothered me too! I even hesitated snorkeling the first time too -- I did eventually get the hang of it.

Norfolk Dumpling said...

After getting the hang of goggles, I thought I'd find snorkelling easy. But putting something over my nose was awful! It was only when I saw how pretty the fish were that I could bring myself to use the mask properly.